Thursday 10 July 2014

What I Have Learned As An OFW

What I Have Learned as an OFW
msgayeta




                         I  did  some  counting of the years that I have spent as an Overseas Filipino Worker    ( OFW ) .  Five months in the UAE ,  three years in Libya  and a year ( and still counting )  in Oman .   All in all ,  four  years and five months .  Would I say that time flies fast ? No .  Time crawls for  any  OFW.  However , I wouldn’t  say  that it was a terrible   period . In fact  , it was a period of  self-discovery and enlightenment .  Let me tell you what I learned from my   experiences.  

1.       I am responsible for what I feel . Loneliness  and depression  are  the worst enemies of migrant workers  like me . But I have a  choice . If I let   low , negative emotions get the better of me ,  my life abroad would be a psychological  torture  and I  would most likely fail in my work .  I choose  positive emotions : joy , optimism , hope  ---- no matter how difficult  the situation  may be . I engage in productive activities like  reading , writing and jogging  to rein my loneliness.   I will myself  to feel good.

2.       I am smarter  and  tougher now . My work abroad as  a teacher  has enabled me  to learn more about the academe in   different set-ups . I have learned new teaching  techniques , had intelligent discussions with multi-racial colleagues  and enjoyed the privilege of teaching the Arab youth .  On the other hand ,  the  war-related ordeals  I  survived  tested  my  courage and endurance  .  NATO airstrikes ,  gun fights  , days of  no electricity  and water supply . All  these  strengthened me .  What did  Friedrich Nietzsche say  ? “ What does not kill you  will make you stronger.”

3.       Situations are unpredictable--- save money ! Experience tells me that  I should  not  assume that employment abroad is for the long  haul . Anything can happen  --- war , company closure , unexpected termination , sickness .  I  can suddenly  find myself  on a flight home ---penniless .  It is tempting to buy the latest gadgets  and glittering fashion items --- but do I really need them ? Or do I  just want to flaunt  a  false social  status ?  I have learned to separate the needs from the  wants , the important from the trivial . I have  also learned  not to  feel guilty when turning down my children’s request  for non-essential things . We choose simple , practical luxuries . My son , who is now 14 years old , has never had a play station or similar play gadgets. But  he has a bike . Biking is a good physical exercise. I have taught my 19 –year-old daughter to be contented with low-priced  things.  My two children  are well-fed  and  sufficiently clothed. They live in a simple  yet comfortable house . They study in a good school.  I shouldn't be apologetic  for withholding other things.

4.        Miscommunication  is normal among people . Therefore , I don’t have to feel stupid   when  I sometimes  fail to understand  what  English native speakers say . I  have discreetly observed how Americans  ,  British and  other native speakers  communicate with each other ----and it is not that unusual  for them to  miscomprehend  each other  because of distinct  accent or  regional   idiomatic expressions.  In 2006 , when I was working  at an international school  in Dubai,  I heard  a British lady  describe   a fellow British  as having  a  “ very strange accent ”. Well,  if they sound “ strange ” to each other , how  do they  think they  sound to  me ? Occasional communication break-down occurs in many situations . It  happens  even to the  brightest of people .  As an expat teacher , I have met  English  native speakers  who  fumble with spelling ,  ( Remember , former US Vice President  Dan Quayle could not spell “ potato ” .) and  who don’t know the meaning of “ invigilation ” and “ soft copy ”.  No , they are not stupid . They don't know for several reasons . Firstly , there are several varieties of English . Vocabulary  and pronunciation may  differ in some  aspects .  Secondly , human beings are prone to linguistic lapses ---whether they are using their native language  or  their second language.  Thirdly, it is simply impossible for one human being to know everything in this world.  So , if I don't understand something  , I ask politely for  clarification. It's nothing to be embarrassed about. 


5.       Kindness is not exclusive to one group of people.  As ethnocentric beings  , we tend to think that we  are the “ better  guys”  .  We are wary  of  and judgemental about  other people whose appearance ,  cultures and beliefs differ from  ours.  My experiences  abroad  have confirmed  what I have always believed :  kindness  also  exists in the heart of  people   who are far different from me . I have received kindness from fellow Filipinos , but I have  also received  similar gestures  from  Libyans , Omanis , Indians ,  Nigerians , Americans , British , Australians . The list is long .  I have been helped by fellow Christians , but I have also been helped by Muslims , Hindus and Buddhists. Indeed , kindness knows  no national nor religious boundaries.  

6.       My previous  misconceptions about Muslims  are just that  ---- misconceptions . I have been to   five   Muslim countries : UAE , Libya , Tunisia , Iran  and Oman . Hollywood films and the international  media have, deliberately or indeliberately,  spread “ Islamophobia ”. Muslims have  been  usually portrayed as violent , angry people. Frequent  conflicts  in  Arab countries  have reinforced that  stereotype .  However , I have realized through first-hand experience that most Muslims are kind , generous and  gentle people . Indeed , travel makes us realize  that we are usually wrong about other people.  


In all likelihood , if external events don’t intervene , I  would  still spend years  working  in far away  territories .  It is an opportunity  I  won’t  squander  by sulking , judging other people , wanton spending  or  haphazard teaching. I will  use every moment of it  to foster  growth  --- in myself and in other people  who happen to pass my way . 

No comments:

Post a Comment